When I was a little girl, I would awake to the aromas of homemade breakfast and my mom’s cheerful voice as we all made our way to the kitchen sporting bedheads newest styles. Home was equated to the smell of eggs, bacon, pancakes, and cozy pajamas. Those memories have shaped the way I think about home. I’ve carried a lot of my mom’s sense of home with me into my own!
If you have been following the journey that is our home remodel, you know that we bought a 1908 home back in August of 2017. It was completed with beautiful hardwood flooring, wainscoting, big beautiful windows, and all the character. It just didn’t feel like our home yet.
There is just something about a space that’s beautifully designed, functional, and inviting. Photography has led me to places all over the globe that have inspired my aesthetic and visual preferences. It also became very important to have a beautiful space to shoot in as I was hired for more interiors and still life work.
As a married couple, the first year or so you are changing your home to fit you both. We basically got rid of all bedroom furniture and started from scratch. Literally, we even got new mattresses.
A few things we really wanted to achieve with the new home:
- Sketch interiors and design for each room
- Texture the walls venetian plaster in living areas
- Remodel our kitchen
- Remodel our bathroom
- Install a few built ins
- Paint the exterior
Busy season for me calls for flights back to back and living out of a suitcase, so the hubs and I opted to wait on home renovations until January of 2018. The process started out with some sketches and soon I was diving head first into discovering more about furniture, design, and brands from all over the world making beautiful goods. Enter, BluDot!
BluDot is one of those brands that constantly pushes themselves to attain a vision and perspective that is unique. I have admired their designs for many years. I’m honored to photograph their new bedding line that just launched today, as well as design our bedroom with their stunning pieces.
THE DESIGN PROCESS + GOALS:
- Create a Master bedroom that is inviting.
- With the cosy dome shape of our room, it was important to pick minimal pieces that weren’t extremely tall or wide.
- Utilize every cute little corner of our room
- Raw Elements and blonde toned woods
- Plant life and pops of gold
- Incorporate marble elements
So EXCITED, today is the day I get to share this fun project with you. Of course the celebrating of things coming together involves family hangs and all the breakfast foods <3. I might have brushed my hair for you this time though, no promises next time ;).
PIECES WE CHOSE + WHY:
- Plateau Side Table – this worked out perfectly for our nightstands! I didn’t want clunky tables and wanted to avoid square shapes. Adding variety in shapes to a room brings a lot of interest. You also want to mimic similar shapes in the objects you choose too. The round design of this table and marble top was a win!
- LDH Leaning Mirror – Everyone needs a full body mirror. We loved how this one leaned on the wall as opposed to being hung. It also had the blonde wood elements we wanted!
- Lap 4 Drawers Dresser – The height of this piece worked out perfectly for our room. It was designed to be wider, as oposed to taller. This allowed for more space to decorate the top of our dresser. Again, it was stunning in the blonde wood finish!
- Nook Bed – We chose this minimal frame with a headboard that curves perfectly around the edging.
- Bedding – I have been so excited to share this with you all! A few weeks ago the samples came in the mail for me to shoot. I have been hiding these beauties until now! The patterns are so lovely and the quality is superb. I also love a good wool blanket for those colder months or nights that we leave our windows open in the Spring.
Jumpsuit from my favorite = Lunya. Never getting out of my pajamas or bed again!
Incredibly honored to work with BluDot. I love their aesthetic, but more importantly their mission and culture as a brand. They also just won the Cooper Hewitt National Design Award for product design.
Check out your local BluDot store to enter the throw giveaway happening May 17-20th! No purchase necessary, just go visit their store and sign yourself up! All you Seattleites, sit tight as there is a store coming to you this summer. I will be sharing more about that and all the scoop on launch events!
More home renovations coming your way soon too :).
All Photos & Styling by : Kara Mercer