I don’t know about you, but escaping to a warm destination during the winter is the very best for Seattleites. My favorite spots possess a flair of their own and are not as well known as hot spot destinations. Sayulita is a hidden little city, just 45 north of Puerto Vallarta. It is quickly becoming a secret gem for travelers, also a mecca for surfer’s.
Sayulita has no shortage of unique style and color. Each street is decorated with festive flags and vibrant buildings.
WHAT TO PACK:
Packing for Sayulita should be the easiest packing job EVER. Everything you need can be placed in a carry on. Since no one really wears anything but swimwear, cut off shorts, and flip flops. However, wearing a cute flowy dress or sundress is totally perfect for those evenings you want to feel extra girly :).
Don’t forget to leave space in your bag for all the amazing treasures you’ll find. I found eclectic pieces for our home, as well as some clothing pieces I love for future travels.
- Swimsuit & Cover- Up
- Beach Towel
- Floppy Hat
- All the flowy dresses 🙂
- Your fav pair of jean shorts
WHERE TO SHOP:
- Evoke The Spirit
- Pacha Mama
- Gypsy Galeria
There are so many locals selling goods and pop up shops of all kinds, so keep you eyes on the look out for rare handmade pieces found only in Sayulita.
ALL THE FOODS…..Prepare to eat all the amazing Mexican food and street tacos!
- Sayulita Cafe: I actually ate here two nights in a row, because duh fajitas are amazing here. Have your camera ready, as they set them on fire with tequila before serving.
- Don Pedro’s
- Taco’s El Ivan: Talk about a local taste that is unmatched, this tiny little
- Naty’s Cocina: this place has amazing tacos for all food lovers, and yes I am talking to you vegetarians :). We actually ate tacos one morning here and loved it!
- La Rustica: for those of you that get sick of tacos, eat the pizza here! OMG yum 🙂
- ChocoBanana: thank God, I found the coffee! They have every type of cold coffee, hot coffee, and even their own yummy concoctions of coffee goodness. Their breakfast is equally amazing, as well as the banana bread. It is conveinently located in the heart of town.
- Wakika Heladeria: Trust me, you will want to remember this! I think we ate ice cream every day to combat the heat :). This was my favorite spot and the ice cream and popsicles are the BEST!
COCKTAILS, NIGHTCAPS, & LIBATIONS ANYONE?!
- Le Zouva Bar
- Escondido Wine Bar
- Estela Rooftop Bar Sayulita
- El Barillito
- El Patio
We had some of the best margarita’s and interesting cocktails while visiting!
WHERE TO STAY:
- Hotel Petit Hafa- We loved this cute little boutique hotel! It even has a lounge area and a cute little bar next door. The hotel was opened by Christophe and Marina Mignot after years of sailing the world. It has a boho charm all it’s own. I loved that it was a short walk anywhere in town and easily accessible to the beach.
- Casa Paloma- AMAZING house! We had friends who stayed here for a wedding and it accommodates large groups. I highly recommend this if you are going to Sayulita with a lot of friends and family. The views are incredible to wake up to here. Perfect spot for anyone who loves sitting on the porch taking in the sunrise with fresh brewed coffee in hand.
- Airbnb: My husband and I typically love finding beautiful spots on airbnb, as it is always photogenic when traveling. Yet, in places off the grid I am skeptical of whether it is safe to leave camera gear. Sayulita is perfect for airbnb though! The locals truly upkeep these houses and homes to perfection.
- Playa Escondida: For all the swanky travelers our there who want a luxury experience, this is your spot! Ocean view Jacuzzi?! Check! There is a restaurant, spa, yoga, and a beach bar attached.
- Villa Amor: Talk about ambiance, this stunning villa is where beach and elegance meet.
WHAT’S FUN TO SEE AND DO IN SAYULITA?!
- Whale Watching: along the Nayarit coast from December till April, plan for these months. Dolphins can be spotted year around in Sayulita.
- Horseback trail riding
- Surf or Paddle Board
- Sailing Tours
- Go to Marietta Islands:
For more about Sayulita travel, or bookings head to their main site. It was super helpful for booking any excursions or day trips.
Hope you enjoyed the images of Sayulita!
All Images : Kara Mercer